Article

Old Panama

Old Panama

Old Panama

Old Panama (Ruins) (Cathedral Tower, Panama City) — In 1671 the city was attacked by the English pirate Henry Morgan, with the intention of looting the city. For security measures, for both the population and its property, the General Captain of the mainland, Don Juan Perez de Guzman, ordered the city to evacuate and blow up the gunpowder deposits, which caused a massive fire that completely destroyed the city.

The ruins of the old city that still remain, including the cathedral tower, are now a tourist attraction known as the historical monument collection of Old Panama, recognized as world heritage. Panama City was rebuilt in 1673 at a new location 2 km west-southwest of the original city, on the slopes of Ancon Hill, currently known as the Old Town of the city.